After giving the kids breakfast and realizing that we were running out of bread, I decided to bake bread from scratch. I have been out of work for about 4 months now, so the budget is a lot tight. I figured that since I already had all the ingredients on hand, I can save myself $2.00 and a trip to the store.
So I am not sure why, but bread baking had been something that I had always been uncertain about in the kitchen. Normally, I am pretty sure of myself around the kitchen, but for some reason I had always avoided baking bread.
That was going to end NOW!!
I started by dissolving the Yeast in a 1/4 cup of warm water (100 – 110 degrees F) with the sugar.
After mixing flour, salt, water and the yeast mixture, I used my hands to mix until soft dough is formed. After kneading the dough on a floured surface for a little while, I transferred it to the bowl to rise.
After letting the dough rise for a while, place into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F ; bake an additional 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100 - 110 degrees F)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees F.
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (100 - 110 degrees F) in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt, water & yeast mixture in a bowl; mix by hand to form soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Uncover dough, and punch dough down. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Uncover dough and punch it down. Place the dough into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F; bake an additional 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.