So the other day I was feeling really lazy and figured I order out for dinner. After looking at the many options I picked Jimmy John’s Gourmet sandwiches. Wouldn’t you know it, the kids loved them, and I mean so much so that the little one ate the entire 8” sandwich. This was really weird because they are going through the weird “I don’t want to eat anything” phase.
So My Kids Like Subs?
Well, I guess I have to figure out how to make a Hoagie roll from scratch.
I started with getting yeast mixture ready. Mix the Yeast and sugar into ½ cup of warm water (100 – 110 degrees F).
In a mixing bowl, add the dry Ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. Then add the wet Ingredients to the dry Ingredients and mix using a stand mixer with a dough hook. (I have also used my hands for this part, same results just takes a bit longer and a lot messier.)
Place in a covered greased bowl for 45 minutes. Let the dough rise (should get about double in size.) Punch the dough down and let it rise again for 10 minutes.
Turn onto a floured surface and knead. I separated into 4 portions. Flatten the portions out.
Roll up the dough into an oval shape and place on a baking sheet (separated about 2”) and let rise for 10 minutes.
Brush with an egg wash. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- ½ cup warm water (100 - 110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in ½ cup warm water (100 - 110 degrees F) add 1 tablespoon sugar and then let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of all-purpose flour, remaining sugar, salt, yeast mixture, remaining water, and oil into a stand mixer. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Let rise for 10 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead slightly. Separate into 4 portions.
- Flatten the portions out. Roll up the dough into an oval shape and place on a baking sheet (separated about 2”) and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-16 minutes until golden brown.